EC Dictionary Redesign

Description
Search up vocabulary and translate a phrase in a more efficient manner.

Role
User Research
Sketching
Wire Framing
Prototyping

Timeline
Oct - Nov 2019 (3 months)

Design Question:
How might we build a more collaborative and interactive experience environment in group messages?

Research
Background

EC Dictionary is a dictionary app that provides offline access to English and Chinese search library with features including sentence example, word pronunciation, and multi-language translation.

I conducted some research to better understand users and the problems.

Target Audience

Users who are looking for an easy to access dictionary library that enables a quick definition of a word in another language but mainly in English or Chinese.

User Persona

Kevin

Goals
✷ He is hoping to learn foreign languages.
✷ He wants to be able to start a conversation with a foreigner.
✷ He is a self-learner and does not want to spend extra money.
✷ He hopes to retrieve learning materials from the internet.

Daniel

Goals
✷ He wants to immerse into the American culture.
✷ He hopes to perfect his English.
✷ He is looking to enhance his English vocabulary.

Vivian

Goals
✷ She is looking to improve her English vocabulary for the GRE.
✷ She often looks up vocabularies while she is reading and traveling.
✷ She is hoping to excel her vocabulary skill.

User Feedback

Using the App Store reviews as the source for getting an insight of possible pain points the users have experienced. In order to avoid bias, I took a look at both the positive and negative comments users gave.

I quoted some key points that the users find trouble in this app:

Positive Feedback

You can use it without the Internet
It comes with speech to pronounce the word
It helped me a lot on along my journey to perfecting my English

Negative Feedback

History button is missing
Can't get the language selection menu to go away in the translation page
Can't find the favorites section
The Problem

From the research, I was able to draw conclusions to the following problems users are facing:

✷ Users use the app to look up vocabulary instead of using search engines like Google because it provides more of a thorough definition in the language they are comfortable with. However, it is time-consuming to get to the right definition because of the number of controls to prompt.

✷ Users were having trouble finding their search history. This resulted in unnecessary losses in time.

✷ Users are unable to get used to the keyboard flow and the language"picker" element. As a result, users fumble through the app and eventually end up googling the vocabulary for a faster search.

Heuristic Evaluation

Usability inspection will be conducted to address any existing problems.

✷ Navigational Overload
Too many navigational items are included in the dropdown menu, which resulted in users not finding what they want.

✷ Misleading Navigational Context
The "Favorites" section does not only include the vocabulary the user favorited, but also includes 22 different options that doesn't fall under the labeling category of "Favorites".

✷ Slow search efficiency
It defeats the purpose of a quick lookup if it requires the user to prompt several actions to find the desire definition.

✷ Slow search efficiency
It defeats the purpose of a quick lookup if it requires the user to prompt several actions to find the desire definition.

Hi-Fi Wireframe
Prototype
Retrospective

What I learned

This project went through phases of preparation, research, and iterations. This is my first ever redesigned case study, so I took this opportunity to explore and learn through reading case studies from other designers. This case study enabled me the chance to examine and state different problems and provide possible solutions in making a the product easier to use. Though this product is not an app that everyone is familiar with, I took this as a challenge to solve potential problems as a pioneer designer.

To go further

There is always room for improvement and iteration. Since this was a personal project, I wasn't able to receive external feedback from professionals due to resources and constraints. Next step further would be to present the product to other designers and hope to receive feedback. On the other hand, this redesign is missing a usability testing analysis. For the next step, I would like to do a usability test on the targeted users to analyze the redesigned product.